Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ant Invasion

I must become a better person. A good person who takes her breakfast plate back to the kitchen instead of leaving it next to the computer. to potentially attract ants to yet another surface of the house. It's no enough that they are running their little ant highway to the poison station on the mantel, and filling the woodbox as well. Now there are ants ranging along the kitchen windowsills, the wall by the door AND THE KITCHEN TABLE. All is not well. New poison station on the kitchen windowsill, even though Miso Kitty is fascinated by the ants chain ganging up the wall and may cover her paws in borax tetra-something and simple syrup while batting at the insistent little crawlers.

Terro ant poison seems the least potentially toxic to dogs, cats and visiting children. Low mammalian toxicity might not be the *ultimate* criteria since apparently it gives the little formicids all sorts of gumption (enough to get lots of poison food back to the nest, to die there, twitching their stinky feet in agony, I can but hope). They have invaded 3 rooms in as many days. If I find ants in the bedroom I may be the one twitching my feet in agony.

A more positive person might associate the new ant activity with the 3 inch high peony shoots. Great circle of life, no blooms without bugs, the turning of the year, etc, etc. But I'll shake the peonies open in May myself if that's the price of an ant free kitchen.

Speaking of karma, how many mason bees must I nurture to compensate for formicidal tendencies? Will I ever achieve enlightenment in this lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment